Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Polka Dots Feather Mani in Yellow

Living in Oregon is tough sometimes.  It's so dreary and rainy 9 months out of the year, and I'm pretty sure March broke a record for being particularly cold and rainy.  And April isn't off to a good start.. it was hailing today!  So I thought I needed some bright spring/summer color in my life to get me through this.  I tried my hand at a feather manicure.  It was way more difficult than I had planned, but the good news is that I learned very quickly (the second hand I did was exponentially better than the first).  So here's a few photos to share!

Left


Right

Left again

So I did my left hand first and here's what I learned: definitely trim up the feather as closely as you can to the shape of your nail before sticking it on the nail.  Putting on a layer of SV and then smushing the feather on did NOT work for me.  I ended up using Elmer's glue to glue it down and SV to really stick it.  On my left hand, I used two feathers because my first feather ended up kind of misshapen and wonky and didn't cover the whole nail (due to me struggling to get it to stick) so be sure that your feather is big enough!  My right hand surprisingly (because I was using my bad hand) came out better.  The feather looked nicer and covered most of the nail.  My only problem is that I had a difficult time trimming it up and it had some sharp edges hanging off- I used a nail file to get at those bits after applying my topcoat.

Other than that, I think it came out pretty well!  The feathers that I bought came in a multitude of colors, so I definitely will try this again sometime.

Products used:
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Lightening
SV topcoat
Elmer's glue
Creatology Feather Plumes from Michael's

No comments:

Post a Comment